Is it possible to install Windows on a usb-hdd and run it from different pc's?
Can WINDOWS RUN/BOOT off Removable Memory Key (USB) ?
You'll find different things around the web on this question..
But General Opinion is:
- - "No - you cannot."
- Windows XP Pro can only be installed on an "internal hard drive".
- No. Windows will not run from a USB drive.
- - The Program simply will not install to an external drive.
- - XP does not support boot from USB, even it BIOS supports this
- Microsoft actually does not support booting Windows off an external USB drive
- Windows XP was designed to be installed on an internal drive, not an external drive
- Windows cannot boot from an USB drive.
- If your computer supports booting from such device, you can load a boot-loader to the USB device which starts Windows XP from the HDD.
The Responds above break my dream.
My Dream Was:
- That i can use my usb-key to store all my software+Data ( include Operation System ,which i already pay for it ) to use it on work, by friend, internet cafe etc... which always have another software installed then you familiar with. !!
I referred to an article from Microsoft, dated August 2004, which mentions that :
"Current versions of Windows should not be installed to USB hard disk drives because Windows does not support USB hard disk drives as the primary boot device."
I don't believe that , i'll not give up,
I believe that windows can running on an USB stick.
So I searched on the web and found On internet there are different topic to tell you how u do it
but none of the methods worked for me, or were overly complex, so i also started researching myself
I done Years of researching , Months of working, Days for testing, Hours for installation,
some time even untill 4 o'clock at Night.
FINALLY , i be able to made an USB Removable Flash Memory Key 2G which Windows can Booting & Running on it.
( Don't ask me How, Microsoft will "kill" me for that )
( Of course, your hardware(BIOS) should boot from USB )
OK, i will share my Happiness with u, which i made a demonstration for u on my Laptop with my USB-stick.
PLEASE REPLY ME FOR A DEMONSTRATION !! ( Eindhoven only )
Why u doing this for ???
- 1. To let unbeliever, believe.( That xp CAN RUN ON AN USB-key ?! )
2. To made believe not longer believe, its !!! REAL !!!
= Q & A ================================================
- [Q:] Even if it were possible, you don't want to do that. It would be extremele slow, since USB sticks are much slower than HDDs.
[A:] The point is not " SLOW " but " CAN "... Intel and others plan to release a new version of the ubiquitous Universal Serial Bus technology in the first half of 2008, a revamp the chipmaker said will make data transfer rates more than 10 times as fast by adding fiber-optic links alongside the traditional copper wires." "The current USB 2.0 version has a top data-transfer rate of 480 megabits per second, so a tenfold increase would be 4.8 gigabits per second." This should make USB hard drives easier and faster to use."